Friday, March 02, 2007

So, Bombay first. Satya and Chris picked me up at the airport (I landed a day after them) and we headed straight out for food, and then shopping. And that basically characterized the rest of our Bombay experience -- glorious meal after glorious meal, interspersed with serious shopping.

Highlights included:
  • Pani puri!
  • Dahi batata puri!
  • Street sandwiches!
  • Satya's mom's cooking!
  • Masala chaas!
Here I am eating one of those fabulous street sandwiches (Chris's photo).











OK, enough about the food. (Refer to Chris's blog for details on all of our meals, which he fully documented, in image and text, to our endless amusement.) There were other great things about Bombay. For example, the Roger Waters concert we went to in Bandra, which was mind-blowing. (Roger Waters is the guy from Pink Floyd in case you're like me and had no idea who he was beforehand.) I wasn't allowed to bring my camera in, otherwise I would have taken a photo of the incredible giant inflatable pig which probably everyone there but me was expecting. (I was also the only person there who didn't know every single word to every single Pink Floyd song they played. But it was still awesome.)

Since Satya's a native of Bombay, she knew her way around and Chris and I didn't have to lift a finger trying to figure out what to do or how to get anywhere. We roamed all over the city. One minute we were at a luxiourious lounge at the Taj, sipping fancy teas, then a half hour later we were at a dive bar drinking Kingfisher and listening to Metallica. Thinking back to all that we did, it's basically a lovely blur.

(The one really awful thing that happened was finding out -- through a respectable media source, a friend of Satya's -- that Amitabh Bachchan is actually bald. I'm still recovering from that news.)